These belonged to Dunham Scott and are at the Drennen-Scott Historic Site in Van Buren, Arkansas.

Part Two: Hostilities ended officially on Nov. 11, before Scott and his men made it to the fighting. With their services no longer required, they were sent home. They sailed from Brest aboard the HMS Maurentia on December 24th bound for New York. Scott sent a letter home: “I had a wonderful trip (he said) on the Maurentia, it was stormy a couple of days but the ship was so big it did not make much difference.” He went on to tell his father that as a Company Officer he had to monitor his men while on the ship, no small task due to it’s size. Upon reaching New York, Captain Scott was “honored” to supervise Co. C in the cleaning of the ship after the rest of the soldiers disembarked. This was an important task as the Army did not want to pay cleaning costs to the British Navy. In Capt. Scott’s words “ Co. C delivered the goods” and the ship was cleaned to the inspectors surprise and approval. Capt. Scott boated that his men saved the Army 750 dollars,the previous cleaning bill for a much more messy regiment’s passage. Finally off the ship. Scott remarked, I don’t know if the Statue of Liberty looked better than the land around it, but it sure looked good to me."

Dunham Scott was discharged at Camp Dix New Jersey January 16, 1919and sent home. His journey home would prove somewhat interesting as well…once discharged, he went to the Quatermaster Headquarters to get a train ticket home. The QM did not have Van Buren or Fort Smith listed as destinations. Upon checking more closely, Fort Smith National Cemetery was an official destination to which Capt Scott replied, “that would answer all purposes” and joked with family upon returning that he had been sent home to the national cemetery and lived to tell the tale. Capt. Scott’s sense of humor was also remembered by his family who heard him say numerous times something to the effect that the German Navy saved his life. The delay in finding replacement weapons caused by the torpedo attack on Co. C’s transport along with the war coming to an end kept Capt Scott and his men out of the trenches. He was full aware that the life expectancy for an Infantry Officer was around 45 minutes.

Dunham Scott and his wife Mamie lived in Van Buren after the war, across the street from the house owned by his Grandfather Joseph Starr Dunham.. He and his wife attended Trinity Episcopal church and he worked as a shop foreman for the Arkansas highway Department. He died of Meningitis and Influenza January 21, at Sparks Hospital in Fort Smith. He was buried in the Drennen-Scott Family plot at Fairview Cemetery. His grave marker cites his service as Captain of Co C, 347th Infantry.