STATE OF ARKANSAS
TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS COME – GREETINGS:
EXECUTIVE ORDER TO ESTABLISH THE WORLD WAR I CENTENNIAL COMMEMORATION COMMITTEE
WHEREAS: The Governor seeks to ensure a suitable statewide observance of the centennial of World War I and to cooperate and assist national, state, and local organizations with programs and activities suitable for the centennial observance; and
WHEREAS: During 2014 until 2018, the worldly nations who participated in World War I have and will commemorate the centennial of World War I; and
WHEREAS: In 1917, the United States formally declared its entry into World War I, and its centennial celebration will be during the years of 2017 and 2018; and
WHEREAS: Over 71,000 soldiers from Arkansas served the United States during World War I; and
WHEREAS: The Governor seeks to commemorate, preserve, and honor the courage, sacrifice, and valiant efforts of all Arkansans who served in World War I.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, ASA HUTCHINSON, acting under the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Arkansas, do hereby order the following:
- There is hereby created the World War I Centennial Commemoration Committee (the “Committee”), which shall serve as the coordinator of events, projects, and memorials celebrating the World War I Centennial in the State of Arkansas during the years of 2017 and 2018.
- The Committee shall be composed of nine members, who will all serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The appointments shall be made within six weeks of the effective date of this Executive Order. The Committee shall be composed of:
- The Director of the Department of Arkansas Heritage, or a designee from the Department;
- A representative of the Arkansas National Guard Museum;
- The Arkansas State Historian;
- The Director of the Arkansas Department of Veteran’s Affairs, or a designee from the Department;
- A representative of the Arkansas National Guard;
- The Dean of the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design at the University of Arkansas, or a designee from the School; and
- Three at-large appointees selected by the Governor.
- The members of the Committee shall have the following duties:
- To plan, develop and carry out programs and activities appropriate to commemorate the centennial of World War I and to encourage development of programs that ensure that the commemoration results in a positive legacy and has long-term benefits; To encourage interdisciplinary examination of World War I;
- To facilitate World War I-related activities throughout the state;
- To encourage civic, historical, educational, economic, and other organizations across the state to organize and participate in activities to expand the understanding and appreciation of the significance of World War I;
- To coordinate and facilitate the public distribution of scholarly research, publication and interpretation of World War I; and
- To provide technical assistance to local organizations and nonprofit organizations to further the commemoration of the centennial of World War I.
- All events, activities, and projects of the Committee shall be completed during the years of 2017 and 2018. The committee shall cease to exist and expire on December 31, 2018.
This executive order shall become effective upon its signing, and it shall remain in full force and effect until amended or rescinded by further executive orders.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of Arkansas to be affixed the 31st day of March, in the year of our Lord 2016.
Asa Hutchinson, Governor
Mark Martin, Secretary of State